Groombridge Surgery

01892 863326

Hartfield Surgery

01892 863326

Who should I see?

We try to keep our GP appointments for patients with more serious health problems.
Before you book an appointment to see a doctor please consider whether an appointment with another clinician might be more appropriate. They can also help you with a wide range of medical problems.
Our receptionists can help you decide which is the right person for you to see.

Health information and advice
The best place to get accurate health information is the NHS website.
The NHS website has information and advice on:

Self care
Self-care means keeping fit and healthy, knowing how to take medicines or treat minor conditions and seeking help when you need it.
If you have a cough, cold, headache or other minor ailment try treating yourself at home first. Find out more about self care and treatments for common minor ailments.
Please remember that self-care for common conditions can help free up our GP’s time, making it easier to get an appointment when you have a more serious condition.

Pharmacies do more than dispense prescriptions and medicines. Pharmacists are experts in medicines who can help you with minor health concerns. They can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains.
If symptoms suggest it’s something more serious, pharmacists have the right training to make sure you get the help you need. For example they will tell you if you need to see a GP.
Many pharmacies are open until late and at weekends. You don’t need an appointment – you can just walk in. Most pharmacies have a private consultation room where you can discuss issues with pharmacy staff without being overheard.

Many pharmacies will also offer:

  • Emergency contraception
  • Asthma inhaler use and advice
  • Pregnancy testing
  • Chlamydia screening and treatment
  • Stop smoking service
  • Blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar testing
  • Substance misuse service
  • Weight management advice
  • Flu vaccination

To find pharmacies near you, use the NHS website online pharmacy search.

Stock up your medicine cabinet
Why not set up your own home medicine cabinet so that you have things on hand when you need them?
With a well-stocked medicine cabinet, advice from your local pharmacist and plenty of rest you can look after yourself and your loved ones effectively at home for a large range of common illnesses.
This could include treatment for the following:

  • Minor aches and pains
  • Minor sprains, sports injuries, grazed knee and scars
  • Coughs, colds, blocked noses, fevers and sore throat
  • Hangover
  • Athlete’s foot
  • Constipation, diarrhoea and haemorrhoids
  • Dry skin
  • Hay fever and allergies
  • Headlice
  • Indigestion remedies 
  • Mild acne and eczema or skin rashes
  • Travel medicines
  • First aid

Mental health services
Mental health services are open, including services for children and young people.
You can get appointments face-to-face, by phone or online.

  • If you have an existing mental health condition, speak to your GP or your mental healthcare team as usual.
  • If you’re struggling to cope with feelings of anxiety and depression, a GP can refer you for NHS talking therapies or you can refer yourself online without speaking to a GP. Find an NHS psychological therapies service (IAPT)
  • If you need help for a mental health crisis or emergency, you can get 24-hour support and advice. Find out where to get urgent help for mental health
  • Sussex Mental Healthline is a telephone service offering support and information to anyone experiencing mental health problems including stress, anxiety and depression. The service is also available to carers and healthcare professionals. You do not need an appointment. Call: 0300 5000 101 for telephone support and information.
  • Visit the NHS Every Mind Matters website for a free plan, expert advice and practical tips to help look after your mental health.

Health in Mind
Health in Mind is a free NHS service for East Sussex residents who are experiencing stress, anxiety or low mood.

Emergency Dental Services
If you need urgent dental help and advice during normal surgery hours please contact a Dentist.
Do not go to your GP as they will not be able to give you dental treatment.
The East Sussex Emergency NHS Dental Service offers out of hours temporary urgent treatment to patients who reside in East Sussex. Patients contacting the service will be triaged and an appointment will be offered to those that meet the criteria.
Please note this is not a drop in service – an appointment must be made prior to attendance.

Sexual Health Clinics
Call a sexual health clinic if you need help or advice about sexual health issues like sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or contraception. Find sexual health services.

NHS 111
111 is the free NHS non-emergency number.
You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

Click here for more information about how NHS 111 can help you.

If you have difficulties communicating or hearing,  NHS111 can be contacted by using Signvideo which allows patients to access NHS111 via a BSL interpreter.  This is a free service and can be accessed 24/7.

COVID-19 enquiries, help or support
You can call 119 if you have questions or need help with:

  • COVID-19 vaccinations
  • COVID-19 testing
  • staying at home because of COVID-19
  • an NHS COVID Pass
  • a medical exemption form
  • a COVID-19 vaccination record

Emergency medical help
For life-threatening medical or mental health emergencies, call 999 for an ambulance, or go straight to your nearest emergency department. This is when someone is seriously ill, injured and their life is at risk.
Call 999 immediately if you think you or someone else is having a heart attack, stroke, major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.

A&E departments deal with genuine life-threatening emergencies, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • a sudden confused state
  • fits that are not stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis)
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke
  • major trauma such as a road traffic collision
  • feelings of self-harm or suicide

Minor Injuries
Less severe injuries can be treated in urgent treatment centres (walk-in centres or minor injury units).

Minor injuries can treat patients from aged 12 months for:
Sprains and strains
Assessed for fractures
Wound infections
Minor burns and scalds
Minor head injuries
Insect and animal bites
Minor eye injuries
Injuries to the back, shoulder and chest

The Minor Injury Units in East Sussex are:

Crowborough Minor Injuries Unit
Crowborough War Memorial Hospital
Southview Road
Crowborough, TN6 1HB
Tel: 01892 603602

Uckfield Minor Injuries Unit
Uckfield Community Hospital
Framfield Road Uckfield, TN22 5AW
Tel: 01825 745030

East Grinstead Minor Injuries Unit
Queen Victoria Hospital
Holtye Road East Grinstead, RH19 3DZ
Tel: 01342 414000


Deal with an urgent medical problem - The Old School SurgeryThe Old School Surgery